My strange modem problem

I have a Dell Inspiron 2600 and I wanted to use pctel modem driver for it. I
downloded and comiled it on a Debian woody 3.0 with kernel 2.4.19 and it
worked fine. I went to bed happily but tomorrow morning,the driver said
"Modem not responding" I worked on it some ten hour without any progress.
I booted on my SuSe8.0 partition with kernel2.4.18 and tried it there -I have
even sound on SuSe- for the first time the driver said that modem not
responding ; then I added the ptserial to modules.conf and modprobed it and
it began to work! But again after restarting the computer I got that "modem
not responding message". Surely there is some conflict. I tried to disable
sound, I removed every modules except ptserial but nothing happend :-(
How can I solve my problem? How can I find out which devices using the IRQ( 10
in my case). Help me please.