Running giFT from boot scripts

Hi,

What is the recommended debian way of running the giFT daemon
automatically on each boot?

I know that I should create a shell script in /etc/init.d/
and use update-rc.d to add the symlinks, but ...

- Where do the config files go?
  It seems to insist on the home directory of the user starting it.

- If started from the boot scrip it will run as root, right?
  Is this safe? Or should I add a separate user and create a setuid
  wrapper script that is owned by that user?
  What is the best way?

Many thanks fot your help in advance!
regards,
Balazs

PS: Any chance of cvs snapshots appearing in debs somewhere?