Re: which anti-spam tool?

[Thanks to everyone who replied to my initial question]

* Paul Johnson <baloo@ursine.dyndns.org> [25-10-2002 08:09]:
> I like Spamassassin, myself.  I use unstable, though, and don't really
> follow stable to know how old it is.  It seems to work quite well,
> especially when integrated into exim as a filter.

I am running stable and getting spamassassin from testing or
unstable requires a considerable upgrade of other packages. I will
use Spamassassin from stable at least for now.

There is so much information out there that I hope I have done the
right thing.

I run spamd/spamc with OPTIONS="-F 0" in /etc/default/spamd.conf.

I have changed /etc/exim.conf to have a Spamassassin stanza in the
Transports configuration and the Directors configuration.
Mostly a cut&paste from :
http://dman.ddts.net/~dman/config_docs/exim3_spamassassin.html

As far as I can tell everything works: all messages now have
extra headers and in case of spam a report gets added to the top of
the message.

I have some further questions.

Is this setup reasonably sane? I am not sure I understand the
security implication of using spamd.

Ofcourse at the moment all messages still arrive at their usual
destination. I want to move all spam to a seperate folder and have
the ability to have future mail from certain destinations not be
tagged as spam.

Is using procmail recipes a flexible and easy way of doing this?

I will look around for procmail information, but pointers to
relevant information would be appreciated.

Bob