Re: exim troubles - is there an end to this?

Derrick 'dman' Hudson wrote:

On Wed, Oct 23, 2002 at 03:00:43PM +0530, Sandip P Deshmukh wrote:
| hello all!
| | my troubles with exim seem to be endless!

Actually, I think you're really close.  See below.

so i wish, too!

| by the way, the first message - sent to sandip@deshmukh.work was
| successfully received.

Good.

| the other one - deshmukh@zapo.net was never received!

As far as exim is concerned it was.  The machine whose address is
192.168.100.1 accepted full responsibility to ensure that the message
wsa delivered or that a bounce was returned to the sender.  Does the
NT box actually work?

sure it does! as i said, in my current configuration of mozilla on linux as well as my windows configuration, the same nt box acts as an smtp server!

 Also, you should fix that sender address --
you'll never get a bounce unless it originates on your own machine.
With the eximconfig-generated config, you can fix the sender address
by putting
   sandip: Your@Real.Address
in /etc/email-addresses.

i will do that.

| in an earlier attempt, i had tried a few working e-mail addresses and | the messages were never delivered.

| i have checked if the mail has bounced - it has not. no fresh mail for | sandip or root on my system.

If you go to the NT box, can you ping "deshmukh.work"?  I suspect you
won't be able to, and that's why you can't get bounce messages -- no
machine knows who your machine is!

i agree with you. i also think i wont be able to ping deshmukh.work from the nt box. now, how do i tackle this problem? because an entry in /etc/aliases in local machine wont help - am i right?

HTH,
-D

thanx
-sandip