Re: kernel-source/kernel-headers/HCF drivers

On Thu, 24 Oct 2002 22:47:06 +0100 "jerry k"
<jerryk@randomize.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:

> It's wearing me down having to switch to
> windoze to go online.

That does tend to be a pain.

> None of the docs I found relating to kernel
> rolling and source were debian-specific - where should i be looking?

A good place to start is kernel-package and the documentation that comes
with it located in:
   /usr/share/doc/kernel-package/

TMK, in Debian there are pretty much two ways of getting the necessary
files/info for linking against the kernel you're using (provided your
using a stock packaged kernel).  One way is to grab the kernel-source
package for the kernel you are running and copy your
/boot/config-<version> to the top level of the source tree and then
configure it: either via "make oldconfig" followed by "make dep", or
through the use of make-kpkg from the kernel-package package.

The other (possibly easier) way is to use the kernel-headers package for
your kernel version.  This package should contain all the header files
that you need.  IIRC, symlink in /usr/src called "linux" directed to the
kernel-headers-<version> should be enough for your compiling.

> Sorry for asking such dumb questions but I really have done much more
> reading than it sounds...

Don't fret over it.  We all started somewhere.

--
Jamin W. Collins