Re: Creating Release{.gpg} files, how to do it...for a local cache

On Thu, 24 Oct 2002, Matt Zimmerman wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 24, 2002 at 12:04:58PM -0400, Walter Tautz wrote:
>
> > I have succeeded in getting one to work by changing the Origin
> > to something other than Debian and then using /etc/apt/preferences
> > to bump up the PIN priority so that my packages are on par with
> > the rest of debian stable. There must be a way that this can be
> > done without adding stuff to preferences
> > [...]
> > If I change Origin to 'UWaterloo' for example AND add
>
> This is _exactly_ what the Origin field is for in the first place, and you
> _should_ change it.
>
> What is it that you are trying to do?  If your packages are different from
> those in Debian stable, they should have higher version numbers, and they
> will automatically be preferred.  If they have the same version numbers,
> then what are you trying to accomplish?  If you just want a local cache of
> packages, simply list your local source first in sources.list, or avoid the
> archive method altogether and use a caching proxy.

A caching proxy would be default look first into a cache of my choosing?

Of course sometime the local cache contains debs of the same version as
another source....so one might want to pin them higher....this would answer
one of your questions of why I might want to do this...

One of the difficulties I have noticed is that even though I have a package
that has a higher version than what's in the stable debian archive I don't
get it to download without having to say

apt-get -t unstable package....

NOTE. I downloaded the package from the unstable archive and
stuffed into my local cache.... and yet I couldn't get it to arrive
(most of the other packages didn't have this problem. I'm beginning
to think that some of the dependencies were from unstable and because
they're weren't available it wasn't installed....apt didn't say anything
specific about this....most other packages I got from unstable I built
on pure woody system before putting them into the local cache...and
these work... or packages that weren't available in  debian/stable...

Some speculation on my part...

> > It would really be nice to know exactly how apt uses the Release file to
> > setup Pin values or more precisely how it chooses packages to download.
>
> man 5 apt_preferences

Not very good frankly and the apt-howto is a little better.