Re: Debian way for adding 3rd party fonts?

Arne> Hi list, is there a Debian way for adding 3rd party (TrueType)
Arne> fonts when there is no hint file available?
>>  I assume that when you say "hint file", you are talking about defoma
>> hint files.  In that case, you can create your own hint file with
>> defoma-hints.

Arne> exactly... the problem is that defoma-hints does not work with
Arne> these truetype fonts... they are built for M$ system and
Arne> defoma-hints cannot extract the necessary data.

Well, you can always manually enter in all the information that it can't
find.

Arne> The question is, can I put the fonts into
Arne> /usr/lib/X11/fonts/TrueType/ and add them myself according to the
Arne> howto, or will it collide with defoma?

Not with defoma, exactly, but with other parts of Debian.  The stuff in
/usr/lib/X11/fonts/ is handled by update-fonts-dir and related scripts,
which get their information from various places such as /etc/X11/fonts.

You can create your own files in /etc/X11/fonts (I haven't tried this),
but I would suggest just creating a /usr/local/share/fonts directory,
and putting your own fonts in there, then pointing the various
applications to that directory.

--
Hubert Chan <hubert@uhoreg.ca> - http://www.uhoreg.ca/
PGP/GnuPG key: 1024D/124B61FA