Re: how to check md5sums of official debian discs

 How about:
 	$ cd /cdrom
 	$ md5sum -c md5sum.txt
 Assuming you aren't burning a cdrw at the same time. And if that locks
 up your computer, something is wrong. Mind you, it will take awhile. If
 you want to be sure that it is still running, use the -v switch, so
 that it outputs the file names as it checks them.

 Geoff Crompton