installing a prepackaged kernel

hi,
i'm probably missing something. could you please direct me to a place in the documentation where it is explained how to update your kernel using the prepackaged images.
my situation is this:
i installed woody using the bf2.4 kernel (2.4.18) and now i need to install the ALSA packages which, however, requires me to have one of those kernel-image packages installed. even though i don't need a new kernel, i'd happily comply, if only it could be done so that i wouldn't have to configure my system all over again (e.g. the graphics driver from nvidia).

thanks,
robert