How to remove gnome-panel ?

Hi People,
         I'm running woody in x86. I wanted to change
my window manager to Windowmaker from Sawfish, while
doing so, am not able to get rid of the gnome-panel.
ie., gnome-panel appears in Winowmaker in the bottom,
which I don't prefer. If I kill the gnome-panel from
Windowmaker, am not able to logout properly from the
session. I switched to Windowmaker from Sawfish
through the gnome control panel and changed .xinitrc
and .xsession to "exec wmaker".

         I am able to run Windowmaker without the
gnome-panel in Redhat 7.x. properly. What am I missing
here ? Any help is highly appreciated.

Regards,
Karthik