Re: Two Debian 3.0 reviews at Slashdot

Gregory Seidman (gss+debian@cs.brown.edu) wrote*:
>} Unless some people start a Debian-like project using rpm packages, the
>} terraparsecs are going to stay. Imagine the consequences of a Redhat
>} 9.0 system you can rpm-get to version 12.0. RPM and an XGUI-based
>} installer is great for CD-installed systems.
>
>It's being done, frighteningly enough. See http://freshrpms.net/

OK I admit I use RedHat, I have not read that slashdot review, but I have been
using and making rpm packages for several years now. For RedHat 8.0 the rpm app got
a major brain upgrade. I can tell you that before RH 8.0 version, rpm DID need the
brains of apt to do anything slightly complicated. I use apt for rpm for that
reason (yes, apt is awesome).

However, NOW I can actually do something of a "dist upgrade" by dumping all rpm
files in a directory and running "rpm -F *.rpm". Shockingly, this will work now.
Previously, it would take hours to manually handle the deps from the rpm error
messages, even though all necessary files WERE RIGHT THERE in that directory! Now
it can handle that which I consider that finally it has some brains.

My guess is that they want to make greater use of their "up2date" service, the
front end to that is written in Python, so I assume they decided to
put the real brains in the rpm app itself. Just a guess.

In any case I still use apt for rpm and dig it greatly.

--
That's "angle" as in geometry.