Re: Lighter window managers

-- B. Yuksel <barisy@media.mit.edu> wrote
(on Monday, 21 October 2002, 11:26 PM -0400):

> On Mon, 21 Oct 2002, Lance Simmons wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Oct 21, 2002 at 10:04:42PM -0400, Kevin Coyner wrote:
> > >
> > > I gave ratpoision and ion a try last week, and really liked them both,
> > > but found that when running a program like Gimp, that each window that
> > > Gimp brings up for toolbox, etc becomes unnecessarily large (as in full
> > > screen).  Is there anyway to control that?
> >
> > Not that I know of.  Some programs, like Gimp, make heavy use of the
> > desktop metaphor.  They're hard to use in ion or ratpoison (or at least
> > I haven't figured out how to do it easily).  What I do instead is start
> > my X session with selectwm, using ratpoison as the default.  If I need
> > to use a wm that keeps the desktop metaphor, I can quickly exit
> > ratpoison and switch to another wm without losing any of my windows.
> > Once I'm done with that program, I exit the "desktop" wm, and go back to
> > ratpoison.
>

> One way to get around this problem is to use 'screen' with a desktop wm.
> Keep all terminals and such in only one desktop wm window with 'screen',
> and open another window for GIMP. Voila! you have a desktop wm, can use
> GIMP and also have all the good deeds of ratpoison (ratpoison was
> actually made to look like 'screen')
I do exactly this -- I have screen running fullscreen on its own
workspace in blackbox, and then use keybindings to switch to another
workspace to use GUI apps (Phoenix browser, GIMP, and a few others).

--
Matthew Weier O'Phinney
matthew@weierophinney.net