OT: Simpsons Trivia answers

OK, some of the responses I got...no correct responses.

Dave Thurman <listonly@webpresencegroup.net> wrote...

> If I had to guess, I'd say Diamond Jim Brady, just because of the
> name "Diamond Joe Quimby". But I don't think Diamond Jim was a
> politician; he was more of a rich guy with "fingers in everybody's
> pie" -type guy I think.

Nope.  It's actually three different Portland references in one.
None, save one, are flattering.

"Diamond" Joe Quimby is named after NW Quimby Street in Portland (the
only relatively positive reference to Portland in this character), and
the character himself is based off the Kennedy's and former Portland
Police Chief "Diamond" Joe Purcell, who was bought out by racketter
Jim Elkins.  Elkins and Purcell had to take the stand in front of the
US Senate Rackets Committee (RFK, JFK, McCarthy, and some political
unknowns) in 1957.  The mayor at the time was also in on the racket,
as was most of the Portland Police Beaureau and the Multnomah County
DA.  Portland really had it's dirty laundry aired out on that one,
with a normally quite outgoing city suddenly attempting to save face
in silence.  The rookie cop who helped expose the whole thing ended up
enjoying a long career, ending when he retired from District Court
judge.

http://www.portlandtribune.com/archview.cgi?id=14273

Dave Thurman tries again...

> Springfield High school is based upon Peoria, Il Central High
> school. The design of the school at least. One of the artist had
> went there or something like that.

Nope.  First, there is no Springfield High School in the show.
There's Springfield Elementary, which is based directly off of
Portland's Ainsworth Elementary School (Groening went to school
there).  Dave later responded saying that his local FOX affiliate was
claiming that it was Central High School in Peoria, IL.  This is
false, and likely trying to put some local spin on the fact that
Illinois has a well known Springfield.  Apparently that affiliate
truly sucks at journalism and never asked Groening.  Groening named
Springfield after Springfield, Oregon even though Springfield in The
Simpsons is closer in layout to that of Portland.

For the record, Matt Groening went to high school, 1968-1972, at
Lincoln High School, Portland, Oregon.  I walk down the sidewalk where
he drew Bart Simpson, with the caption "Class of 1972, Matt Groening"
in the wet concrete when they redid SW 18th Avenue behind Lincoln HS
in 1997.  The City of Portland decided to overlook this little bit of
vandalism as an art donation and did not repour the sidewalk.  If
you're in Portland go to the corner of 18th and Salmon, and walk along
18th on the Lincoln High School side of the street.  Bart will be
right-side-up if you walk from Salmon Street.  You may now bludgeon
your local Fox affiliate with the Portland Tribune.  8:o)

One person whom I no longer have attribution for suggested that
Springfield Nuclear Power Plant was Three Mile Island.  This is
incorrect.  Trojan Nuclear Power Plant near Rainier, OR is the
inspiration for that one.  Portlanders did not find the parody funny,
as Trojan frequently operated in a manner painfully close to SNPP.

Matt Groening currently resides in Portland's Hawthorne District.

http://portlandtribune.com/simpsons/

--
Baloo