Re: browsers choke on Asian chars

On Mon, 2002-10-21 at 16:53, Kevin Coyner wrote:

> I've got a strange one here that I can't figure out ...
>
> Galeon, Opera and Mozilla all choke if I go to any websites that use
> Asian characters.  By choke I mean freeze up - the browser can't be used
> nor can it be killed except by through its PID.  I asked some other
> Linux users to check out their browsers on these sites, and their
> systems render the pages and don't freeze.  Why is my system locking up?
>
> A few more clues:
>
> I don't have the same lock-up when using links, w3m or dillo.
>
> I'm running Debian 2.4.18 on an i386, using testing.  Galeon is 1.25,
> Opera is 6.03 and Mozilla is 1.0.0-0.woody.1.
>
> Only the browsers lock up.  All other functionality in other programs
> and windows, including X, remain o.k.
>
> sakura:~$ echo $LANG
>
> European websites come up fine.  Only those using something like
> Japanese, Chinese or Korea chars.  In the status line of the browser I
> can see the msg that states it's "loading site" and then "transferring
> data" but then when it tries to paint the window, it freezes.
>
> At this point I'm not too concerned whether these pages render the chars
> correctly or not, I just want it to stop locking up whenever it
> encounters an Asian char.
>
> I know that in each of these browsers there are settings for foreign
> languages.  I've tried those, and I still get lockups.
>
> I've also used dpkg-reconfigure locales to add in Japanese charsets.
> Still no good.
>
> Wondering what to try next ...?
>
> Thanks in advance for any pointers.
>
> Kevin
>
> --
>
> Kevin Coyner
> mailto: kevin@rustybear.com
> GnuPG key: 1024D/8CE11941

My system is also rendering the characters fine (at least on more than
half of the Japanese sites, and any Korean site I've tried. I don't have
Chinese sites I know of to check up on.) My first suspicion, given that
Opera is also on the list, is that something in the fonts themselves are
causing the freeze, because I believe Gecko, and likely Opera, do some
more internal handling of fonts compared to w3m or dillo. It could well
be just a situation of you running a *particular* release of these fonts
or something in the font handling pipeline. It might be time to start
tracking down the versions involved...
ML Kahnt New Markets Consulting
Tel: (613) 531-8684 / (613) 539-0935
Email: kahnt@hosehead.dyndns.org