installing Digest::MD5 on Woody 3.0

I am trying to install some perl modules on woody 3.0 2.4.218 bf-2.4 the
'minimal' iso install package.

The perl modules i am really trying to install are the LWP modules by Gisle Aas.These libwww modules have several dependancies which must be installed first.
All the the pre-req mods installed fine, except for: Digest::MD5, i have
tried via the `auto CPAN' and manually, each produces the same undesireable
results.  I have tried the current version (2.20 and the older version 2.16)
both produce the same error message,...

Testing alignment requirements for U32... ./u32align: error while loading shared
libraries: libgdbm.so.3: cannot open shared object file: No such file or
directory
Test program exit status was 127
Writing Makefile for Digest::MD5

Originally, i recieved: `/usr/bin/ld: can't find -lgdbm' so i installed the
gdbm lib, then i tried again to make MD5 and got '/usr/bin/ld: can't find -ldb,
so i installed the db lib's,... and now the current error message

I have read the README and Bugs, and it doesn't appear anything is wrong with
this module, I do have libgdbm.2.so and below, why is it asking for
libgdbm.3.so?.

Is this a possible bug with the test file for digest::md5?
Should i go ahead and try to install MD5 with this error? - doesn't seem to
make sense if it won't compile.

any idea's greatly appreciated.

I appologize if this question is 'pushing' the bounds of this mailing list,
i'm not having much luck elsewhere. I don't know if it could be a 'debian' issue

Please 'cc' me with any replies you may have.

Thanks.

-mustard