Re: echo message to users screen

Mike Egglestone <megglestone@heritage.sd57.bc.ca> [2002-10-21 14:43:08 -0700]:
> I'm looking for a way I can send a small message to a user
> that is logged into the same box as me.
> If I run
> # w
> to see who is logged in, then I would like to echo something
> to their screen so I can tell them something.

Do you want to say something to them or do you want them to be able to
respond?  All require that the user has not denied you access to be
able to do this or you must be root.  Write is a one way thing.  If
you wait they can write back.  Talk is a formalization of this.  You
'talk them and their terminal will "ring" with a request from talk.
They can respond to the ring with a 'talk you' and then you can type
converse.

  write user
  talk user | talk user@host
  mesg n | mesg y