Re: echo message to users screen

nate said:

> echo "THE COMPUTER IS ON FIRE LOG OFF NOW!!!" >>/dev/pts/X
>
> where X is the tty they are logged in on
>
> or you can do
>
> echo "THE COMPUTER IS ON FIRE LOG OFF NOW!!" | wall
>
> to send a message to everyone logged on

I forgot to mention that the first method usually requires root
access, the second, may too.

write is usually the 'standard' way to do it, but users can
easily disable it on their side by doing 'mesg n'. some systems
this is the default.

i usually just su, and do a wall. but as I mentioned I usually only
have 1 or 2 users logged in at the most besides myself.

nate