Re: x startup

* Billy Bump (bbump@centurytel.net) [021021 12:28]:
> I have just completed installing debian3.0 on my laptop.  The touchpad does
> not work so i use a microsoft usb trackball.  this trackball worked in my
> previous linux mandrake install.  When i try to startx it fails and most of
> the error messages are about the mouse not being present.  anybody have any
> ideas?

What kind of laptop is it?  Is there something physically wrong with the
touchpad, or do you mean you just haven't been able to get X configured
to use it?  Have you tried the GlidePointPS/2 driver?

Where is the trackball plugged in? I'm guessing the ps/2 port.  Where
does X look for the mouse?  It should probably be /dev/psaux .  Are you
running gpm?

So there are some ideas =)

good times,
Vineet