Need help installing PHP (Linux) with MySQL and Apache

I can't get PHP-4.2.3 compiled to work with MySQL and Apache, despite months
of trying.  Apache compiled ok, and so did MySQL -both work, on my Debian
Linux box.

I've tried various combos of installing the Deb packages, compiling from
source, and various combinations thereto.  I started out using
http://hotwired.lycos.com/webmonkey/00/44/index4a_page4.html?tw=programming
as a guide, in efforts to create a way of accessing MySQL via PHP Gui of some
sort.  I've been trying for months, on and off, using Redhat, Mandrake, and
now Debian3.0.  I've tried getting Escapade installed, but pages won't load
unless I change a line in httpd.conf, and then Apache won't run because it
complains of the changed line in httpd.conf, which was supposedly necessary
to get Escapade to run.

Typing ./httpd -l in my Apache bin directory shows that "mod_so.c" is an
enabled module.  My attempt to compile PHP-4.2.3 by typing
./configure --with-mysql=/usr/bin/  resulted in the following error message
configure: error: Cannot find header files under /usr/bin/

I've tried changing the path to MySQL headers, but still get same error msg.
I really don't know how to find these MySQL headers since I wouldn't know one
if I saw it.

Can someone help with a pointer/link?  I'd very greatly appreciate it..

Chip
ncrose@pinn.net