Re: Installing GD for Perl [somewhat long]

On Sun, Oct 20, 2002 at 10:29:30PM +0200, Daniel Fabian wrote:
> # Failed 1/2 test scripts, 50.00% okay. 9/11 subtests failed, 18.18%
> okay.
> # make: *** [test_dynamic] Error 29
> #   /usr/bin/make test -- NOT OK

I saw something similar trying to build and install the GD module. The
documentation with the module appears to blame this on perl being built
wrong, but since it didn't say what was wrong and I was using a perl I
compiled with more or less standard options I chalk that up to passing
the buck. Since I had nothing to lose I just installed it anyway, and
the tiny number of perl scripts I've run that used GD have all worked.
Try downloading the GD archive from CPAN and manually building and
installing, you might find that even though the tests fail the software
works. Now, the failed tests may indicate some bug that you'll run in to
when you don't expect it, but if the software you need to use runs fine
you're probably OK for the time being.

--
Michael Heironimus