Re: [OT] literate programming

On Sun, 20 Oct 2002, Carlos A P Gomes wrote:
> I've been looking for a way to improve the quality of my code, making it
> more readable and understandable and easier to mantain embeding in it
> some documentation. I think the answer is literate programming and I'd
> like to know if anybody uses it in gnu environment to produce source
> and documentation following the gnu standards. It seems that there is no
> web software (cweb, noweb) that produces texinfo or docbook output. Is
> there a way to accomplish this task?

I use lyx and nowebm.

LyX does latex or sgml and can easily be setup to export in whatever
format you have a converter for.  With a latex document it exports in
ascii, dvi, latex, noweb, pdf, ps and custom (which applies whatever
commands you want to one of the other export formats).

It doesn't do syntax highlighting in code scraps, but you could
include code as "external" files generated by (x)emacs, jed, a
pipeline of commands, ...

LyX has possibilities as an LP-IDE, it is pretty easy to create a .lyx
file that either installs the program it contains or prints out as a
document, depending on whether you clicked on the "Build Program" or
"Print" icon.

Whether LyX:File->Build-Program generates a file set that adheres to
GNU standards is something you would have to check for as the last
part of the build procedure.

- Bruce