Re: frozen keyboard and screen (was: lousy browsers)

Jim McCloskey said:
>   are there any other tricks I could have pulled to regain access to
>    the console and the keyboard, short of the Windows-like last resort
>    of rebooting? Happily, there were no other users on at the time,
>    but that was pure luck.

I occasionally experienced similar "frozen" screens with no access to
the console, no changes in the display (even after killing the displayed
process). Worst of all, after rebooting (what else should I do ;-) ) no
apparent error showed up in /var/log/messages. Really annoying ...

... until I once wondered why that _scroll-lock_ led was on. This can
happen by accident (type Ctrl-X something in VI, probably also in other
circumstances), effectively blocking the keyboard. It seems like such a
dumb mistake but I rebooted more than once until I noticed what went
wrong (oh well...).

Regards,
Christian