Re: lousy browsers

Jim McCloskey said:

> Browsers are still so much the weak link in the Linux chain.
>
> I use Debian woody, with X11 4.1. Kernel 2.4.18, hand-compiled. I have
> Galeon, Mozilla and Opera installed and I keep hopping from one to the
> other hoping to find one that will sort of basically work most of the
> time.

> . are there any other tricks I could have pulled to regain access to
>   the console and the keyboard, short of the Windows-like last resort of
>   rebooting? Happily, there were no other users on at the time, but that
>   was pure luck.
>
> . are there any browsers out there that don't give rise to this sort
>   of problem? I maintain 6 Debian machines here (about to add a
>   seventh) and ill-behaved browsers are the source of most of the
>   problems, complaints and lockups I have to deal with.

When I have had problems with X(which is really REALLY rare maybe
2-3 times a year) getting control of it back can usually be
gotten back by starting X again. Even if the console is totally
hosed, many times X will start up again OK(even after it starts
the console would still be hosed but X would work fine). to start
X again I usually login through the network and start it.

as for browsers, I can't remember ever having a browser take down
X. I have had browsers lockup but I can kill them easily(click on
a menu and select kill..). My main browser at the moment is phoenix
but I use opera 6 and netscape 4.7x as well depending on the site.
I haven't tried gaelon. Mozilla works good for me too(1.0 haven't
tried others).

maybe I'm lucky that my X servers are so rock solid or maybe its
my high requirements for stability(e.g. conservative settings,
2.2.19 kernel, extraordinary cooling on all my systems etc). The
only times I can remember having a serious problem with X was
while playing games. Which, IMO is totally expected since games
use DGA. last I checked DGA provides unrestricted access to
the video memory, it's totally up to the program whether or
not it screws it up, X doesn't provide any sort of sanity checks
for DGA access. I don't play many games though. My "main" machine
runs on an nvidia geforce3 (AGP disabled), my other machines
run matrox g450s.

nate