Re: nvidia drivers

On Thu, Oct 17, 2002 at 12:33:33PM +0200, Kenneth Macdonald Karlsen wrote:
> I have never had any problem with nvidias drivers. I have had with the nv driver.
> Since I havent had any toruble i dont have any thorogh knowledge of them, i just
> install it and forget it. Im very sure that your problem is related to hardware,
> config, or some other specific matter, since the driver works on a lot of
> platform sucessfuly.

Yes, it does seem to work for a lot of people.  So many in fact, that
some people (especially on IRC) seem to assume that I'm lying or
something...

They worked alright with my Riva TNT, but my new GeForce2 MX is rather
extraordinarily unstable.

> 1. I suggest that you go through the logs, especialy Xfree log. Also other
> kernel logs, as wich modules get loaded.

Everything seems to load up fine.  XFree86 either locks the whole system
hard, requiring a power cycle, or else crashes back to the console with
a `Signal 11'.

> 2. The readme from nvidia has some good infomationa what to look for, and how to
>  solve common problems.

I've read through it, but none of those issues seem to be relevant.

> 3. Check the /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 according to info in the readme from nvida. A
> lot of options can be passed to the driver.

Done that too.  It seems to be fairly stable right now (it's been up for
a day almost), but that's with AGP disabled.  I've tried both NvAGP and
AGPART, but that didn't help either.

-rob