Re: pcmcia install on IBM laptop

On Fri, Oct 18, 2002 at 07:33:18PM -0700, nate wrote......

> Kevin Coyner said:
>
> > I'm trying to figure out what the line about autonegotiation failed
> > means, and whether that will point me towards my problem.
>
> While in my experience it is EXTREMELY rare for autonegotiation
> to fail it can happen if the 2 network devices are not compadible.
<snip>
> what kind of switch or hub do you have? I really can't reccomend

I'm using a SMC 7008ABR Barricade.  I think you've hit the nail on the
head - incompatibility between the Xircom FE56-100 PCMCIA card and the
SMC router.  This morning I borrowed a Netgear FA11 PCMCIA card from a
friend, inserted it into the laptop, and presto, instant connection to
the internet!  So the old Xircom just doesn't want to match up with the
new SMC.

One thing I did try with the Xircom card in place was the following
command (as root)

ifport eth0 100baseT

This manually sets the network config.  This command was accepted (no
err msgs flashed back) but it still didn't get me connected.

So it looks as if I need to get a new PCMCIA card if I want to use this
old laptop.  I'd like to get the Xircom working if I could figure out
what arguments, etc might make it work.

Thanks everyone.

Kevin

--