SSH Down after Restart

Hello

We have been running a new woody build on one of our Web servers for a
little over 3 months. Everything has been fine until this morning when I
went to hit a web page on the box. I finally realized that the apache was
down and had problems getting it back up, I think we may have a separate
cron/mailman issue. I rebooted the box and when I went to re log back in
with SSH I was told Network Error Connection refused. I had to open telnet
back up to get a line back in to the server. We used Webmin to access the
box to do this.

Seems that sshd is now down and running top shows it not running.
I tried /etc/init.d/ssh start and it does produce any errors but yet top
still shows it not running.

I even apt-get remove ssh and install ssh as well as felt maybe a
reconfigure may help, dpkg-reconfigure ssh and went through the motions and
still no ssh running.

Specs are Compaq 450mhz w/512 RAM Woody Linux 3.0 install with SSH ver 3.4
and all other services seem fine. Everything is up to date.

Can anyone point me or tell me what would be the process to get the daemon
to restart and run.

Search for over 3 hours on MARC AIMS under Debian users and OpenSSH list but
not getting any decent leads on this.

TIA
--
Thanks!!