Re: Sound Blaster 64 install...

On Fri, Oct 18, 2002 at 03:08:55PM +0100, Fabien Holler wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I have a very basic machine (PI 233MHz, 128Meg RAM, ...) and installed
> Debian on it. Everything worked just fine, but I cannot have my sound
> card installed...  I inserted the soundcore.o, sound.o and soundlow.o
> modules in the kernel. Then I did a 'cat /dev/sndstat', and it appears
> my SB 64 is not detected... I just don't know how to install it.

The sound and soundcore modules are generic modules - you will need a
lower-level "driver" as well, but exactly which one depends on your
hardware.

What happens when you insert the sb module?

> Someone suggested it could be an isapnptools problem, but this package
> is installed...

An ISA card then? Makes sense. You may need to modify the config file
for that to "activate" specific settings - but try the sb module first.

> So really, any help would be very welcome. It shouldn't be that
> difficult with such a machine, and such a card, no??

It shouldn't - hopefully automatic hardware detection will be better in
the next version of Debian; I suspect there are quite a few useable bits
from Knoppix coming in.

HTH
--
Karl E. Jørgensen