Re: mail accounts

This one time, at band camp, Tom Allison said:
> Set-up:
> Postfix
> Procmail
> uw-imap / popssl
>
> 1)  For procmail to work eith user specific filters I assume I
> need to create each user a ~/ directory but do not require them to
> have /etc/passwd entries.  True?
>
> 2)  I can configure imap to work on cram-MD5 file formats.  Can I
> do the same for pop-ssl?  Where do I find this info.  Currently
> it's configured as PAM and I don't know anything about that.
>
> 3)  Can I configure postfix to take authentication as well?
> cram-md5 file formats?  This I really don't know much about.

I don't know - I know that exim does, and I am sure postfix can, as it
is _almost_ as full featured (/dons flame suit).

> The object here really is to be able to develop a server that can
> have imap/pop clients for mail receipt and delivery without all
> the clients having a user-account.
> How?

It sound slike you're looking for LDAP or some other authentication
method besides a standard POSIX account.  I suggest LDAP because it is
specifically designed for this (and things like it).  You can set up
exim (and postfix I hear, although I haven't used it) to authenticate
from LDAP.  Most of the good IMAP/POP servers can without a problem.

If you want a quick and dirty method, you can also change all user
shells to /bin/false in /etc/passwd.  This works, but using the tools
designed for the job you're trying to do seems to make more sense.

HTH,
Steve

--
"Our reruns are better than theirs."