Re: smbfs mount over internet?

On Thursday 17 October 2002 17:38, Matt Price wrote:
> ok, here's an odd one,
>
> the webserver at my uni runs unix but doesn't allow nfs access.  It
> does, however, allow remote access via samba.  Question:  can I mount
> a remote samba volume over the internet using smbfs?  If so, what's
> the syntax for the fstab entry?  If not, anyone see some other way for
> me to mount my (remote) home directory as a vodlume on my woody box?
> I'm getting tired of ftp.
>
> thanks loads,
> matt

You can indeed mount an smbfs share via the internet see the "ip" parameter in
the smbmount manpage (also review the other options). I don't know if its
also possible if the client is a M$ Win machine. I don't know wich port is
used for that...

As an other solution i would prefer sfs. Its secure and very easy to use.
AFAIK it was exaclty made for such "client-to-client" tasks (client means
here its not a "big" File or NAS server).

cheers,
Raffaele
--
Raffaele Sandrini <rasa@gmx.ch>