Re: Trouble installing Debian 3.0 on P166 system

>Denver Coneybeare said:
>>
>> I am having a strange problem installing Debian 3.0 on an old P166
>> computer.  The installation goes smoothly but after it reboots
>> something goes wrong.  After running fsck I get the message
>>
>> "Setting the System Clock using the Hardware Clock as reference..." I
>haven't tried to install woody fresh yet but some troubleshooting
>I would do: - which kernel you using(Specifically, if possible)
>- which kernel did you use for the install(specifically if possible)
>- try booting into single user mode.. if your using lilo:
>linux single
>or
>linux init=/bin/bash
>(then remount / - mount / -o remount,rw)
> and edit /etc/init.d/hwclock.sh and near the top put: "exit 0" without
>the quotes, this should(I think) stop the script from running the
>commands. then reboot, and see if it still hangs, if it does not, and you
>can login
>remove the exit 0 and try to run the script manually and see what
happens,
>also how much swap do you have on the system?
>
>nate

Thank you for the advice.  I didn't know about the "single-user mode"
thingy.  If it helps, I tried to install with the three main kernels
(there is an option to choose any of these three when you boot from the
Debian 3.0 Binary CD 1)

- idepci (2.2)
- vanilla (2.2)
- bf24 (2.4)

All produced the same crap.  One of my suspicions is that my BIOS is not
Y2K compliant which could cause an infinite loop of some sort when trying
to resolve the date.  But Windows98 installs fine on it.  I'll keep
battling with it.  Any other ideas?

Sincerely,
Denver Coneybeare