Trouble installing Debian 3.0 on P166 system

I am having a strange problem installing Debian 3.0 on an old P166
computer.  The installation goes smoothly but after it reboots
something goes wrong.  After running fsck I get the message

"Setting the System Clock using the Hardware Clock as reference..."

and then it just stays there.  If I press CTRL-C then it seems to go on
fine.  But then shortly after again I get the message

"Setting the System Clock using the Hardware Clock as reference..."

and again it hangs.  Again, I can press CTRL-C and it continues to boot.
But then I get the message

and then it REALLY hangs.  I can't CTRL-C out of it or anything.  Any
ideas would be greatly appreciated.  Here's some stats about my PC if they
help:

CPU:  Genuine Pentium 166 MHz
BIOS: AMIBIOS 1.00.06.CN0
RAM:  32 MB