Re: Lite On 40x Burner

On Tue, Oct 15, 2002 at 04:58:09PM -0500, Steven Isaacson wrote:
> Has anyone had success using a Lite On 40/12/48(LTR40125S) burner with cdrecord and
> debian? I was looking around and couldn't find any definative answer.

I realize you've already bought the Plextor (good drive), but thought I'd
still comment about the 40125S since I own one and have been using it quite
a bit.

It does DAE hella fast.  REALLY hella fast.  Problem is, it doesn't deal
well at all with discs that aren't absolutely pristine while doing it.  I
have more than a few discs that it returns media errors on while my stodgy
ol' SCSI Toshiba SD-M1201 DVD-ROM has no trouble with them (although at
about half the speed).  This may be limited to my configuration (as I have
the drive doing UDMA) or it may be endemic to the model... I have no idea.
I did put the latest firmware in it and the behavior didn't change.

As far as burning goes, it works well.  I don't make videoCD's, so I can't
speak to that, but it burns even cheap discs very reliably.  It supports
DAO, but it's one of the drives that insists on knowing how large the track
is, or it won't accept the CUE sheet.  This caused me no end of trouble
figuring out because my previous Lite-On burner (4120B combo drive) didn't
care... it just burned whatever you fed it and didn't complain.  It was
just slow about it. :)

I'm not sure yet whether I'd rather have that behavior or a drive that was
a little smarter and tried not to overrun the disc. :)

This also affects its ability to overburn a disc (like to burn a 90 or 99
minute CD).  It's perfectly willing to do it, but only in DAO, and then you
have to use 'tsize=' to cdrecord to tell it how much data it's going to
write.  I had to hack eroaster (my fave burning front-end) to make the
additional call to mkisofs to determine the size before I could create 90
min discs with it.

Note that the previous only applies to data discs... it creates 90 minute
audio discs without any complaints.

> The drive is $40 cheaper then the 40x Plextor. I really don't care to
> waste my money.

Plextor is *never* a waste of money.  And now I understand they're planning
on getting back into SCSI...

--
Marc Wilson
msw@cox.net