Re: Best plotting software?

On Wed, Oct 16, 2002 at 03:37:01PM -0400, David Z Maze wrote:

   > <doom-and-gloom>
   > Sadly, the best approach for doing that sort of thing I've found has
   > been to take the array of data and write a Perl script that spits out
   > a PostScript file.  gnuplot is just okay for what it does, but even
   > moderately complex things seem hard to do without doing a lot of
   > massaging of the data.  (For example, we generate two different
   > results for each of a dozen benchmarks, make a plot that looks like
   > this:
   >
   >   IPC |
   >     4 |             O             X - Unoptimized
   >       |      XO     O     XO      O - Optimized
   >     2 |  O   XO     O     XO
   >       | XO   XO    XO     XO
   >     0 +-----------------------
   >        gcc  perl tomcatv bzip2
   >
   > ...except with solid colored bars instead of ASCII art.)  If this is
   > easy to do in gnuplot, or if there's some other tool that can
   > trivially do this given a text file, I'd also be interested in
   > knowing...
   > </>

I have not tried this, but the description seems to help in the
situations you have outlined:

  brahman:~# apt-cache show gri
  Package: gri
  Section: science
  Installed-Size: 2116
  Maintainer: Peter S Galbraith <psg@debian.org>
  Architecture: i386
  Version: 2.12.1-1
  Depends: libc6 (>= 2.2.5-13), libstdc++2.10-glibc2.2 (>=
  1:2.95.4-0.010810), netcdfg3 (>= 3.5.0-1), emacsen-common
  Suggests: gri-html-doc, gri-ps-doc
  Filename: pool/main/g/gri/gri_2.12.1-1_i386.deb
  Size: 776430
  MD5sum: de20bdaafe013b74563ee2949c38a805
   Gri is an open-source language for scientific graphics programming. It is
   command-driven, as opposed to point/click. Some users consider Gri similar
   to LaTeX, since both provide extensive power as a reward for tolerating a
   learning curve. The output is industry-standard PostScript as output,
   suitable for inclusion in other documents.
   .
   Gri can make x-y graphs, contour graphs, and image graphs. Fine control is
   provided over all aspects of drawing, e.g. line widths, colors, fonts,
   etc. Greek letters and mathematical symbols are available in a TeX-like
   syntax.
   .
   Folks who write 1000-line Gri scripts usually start with something as
   simple as the following:
   .
     open file.dat        # open a file
     read columns x * y   # read the 1st column as x and the 3rd as y
     draw curve           # draw the data and autoscale the axes
   .
   A full manual is also available in HTML (gri-html-doc package), in
   PostScript suitable for printing (gri-ps-doc package) and on-line by
   following links from the gri home page:
     http://gri.sourceforge.net/

Regards,

--
Sridhar M.A.

Quantum Mechanics is God's version of "Trust me."