Re: Strange problem with Mozilla/xpdf

-- Victor Munoz <vmunoz@macul.ciencias.uchile.cl> wrote
(on Wednesday, 16 October 2002, 11:33 AM -0300):
>   I'm uploading to my web site a series of pdf files, chapter from a book
> I'm writing. I'm replacing some of the chapters with newer versions. To
> see if everything is right, I open mozilla and click on the links to see
> if they download the correct versions. Of eight chapters, named cap1A.pdf,
> ... cap8A.pdf, everything is Ok, except for cap1A.pdf and
> cap8A.pdf. Mozilla opens
> xpdf to view the files, and for some reason, instead of the new version
> pointed at by the link, it opens a local version, named /tmp/cap1A-7.pdf,
> which is the old version (renamed by Mozilla probably, because all
> versions were always named cap1A.pdf), so I cannot read the new version
> with the browser.
<snip>
>   Anyway, I closed Mozilla, the /tmp/*.pdf files disappeared, and when I
> started again the new versions were always downloaded.
Mozilla is caching the downloads. You should go into the preferences and
elect to erase the disk cache, which will remove these files while
Mozilla continues to run.

I've found that even when I ask Mozilla (or Galeon, or Netscape) to
check for a new version every time, I still run into glitches like this
on occasion. 99% of the time, deleting the disk cache solves those
problems; the other 1% require restarting the browser.

--
Matthew Weier O'Phinney
matthew@weierophinney.net