lprng won't print

Running debian sid.

Using lprngtool I've setup a local printer (/dev/lp0) accessible as
client and server.

The 'configuration validation' under 'tests' reports no errors.
The 'print ascii dircectly to printer port' works correctly.
However, both 'print ascii' and 'print postscript' generate this error:

Error printing test page to queue lp@tc
Error reason: Status Information:
 sending job 'root@tc+773' to lp@tc
 connecting to 'tc', attempt 1
 connected to 'tc'
 requesting printer lp@tc
 job 'root@tc+773' transfer to lp@tc failed
  error 'NONZERO RFC1179 ERROR CODE FROM SERVER' with ack 'ACK_STOP_Q'
  sending str '^Blp' to lp@tc
 error msg: 'no connect permissions'

What do I have wrong?

--
Our doctrine is founded on justice; communism, on injustice. This
is the necessary conclusion from what we have just said.