Running Kazaa with linux/wine

well, i tried wine + kazaa lite combination. it failed too.

your suggestions are most welcome

-sandip

The first step is to install wine.

I have the following installed for wine: (output of 'dpkg -l|grep wine'):

jsahambi@ws97:~$ dpkg -l|grep wine
ii  libwine        0.0.20020605-1 Windows Emulator (Library)
ii  wine           0.0.20020605-1 Windows Emulator (Binary Emulator)
ii  wine-doc       0.0.20020605-1 Windows Emulator (Documentation)
ii  wine-utils     0.0.20020605-1 Windows Emulator (Utilities)
ii winesetuptk 0.6.0b-1 Windows Emulator (Configuration and Setup To
jsahambi@ws97:~$

And then run winesetup. This will create a dir ~/.wine and by default it creates a sub dir called 'windows' in this.

Now once the wine is setup, you can might try running sol.exe (windows solitier program, copy it from windows paritition if you have windows installed on the same machine) just to check wine is running.

Install Kazaalite (I am using version 1.7.2, http://www.kazaalite.nl/) by the command:
wine kali172e.exe

Once the program is intalled (in the dir ~/.wine/windows/Program Files/KaZaa Lite/) it needs some extra windows stock DLLs. YOu have to copy them from windows system. Here is the list of the files:

comctl32.dll
msvcrt.dll
shdoclc.dll
shlwapi.dll
wininet.dll
commctrl.dll
rasapi32.dll
shdocvw.dll
urlmon.dll

copy these files to ~/.wine/windows/Windows/System   directory.

Now you can run Kazaa lite with the following command:

wine --managed -dll comctl32,shlwapi,shdocvw=n "c:\Program Files\KaZaA Lite\kazaalit.exe"

Here I have assumed the program name is Kazaalite.exe

With Wine 20020605 or abvoe you may not need the option '--managed'.

In case kazaa crashes, you will have to delete the dir ~/.wine/wineserver-myhost.com (assuming your hosta name as 'myhost.com')

I hope I have made the things clear. If you have some dought, let me know.

Regards
J S Sahambi