Re: gui c/c++ programming

On Tuesday 15 October 2002 18:37, Kevin Coyner wrote:
> I've recently took a college level course in beginning C, and then a
> follow-on course in C and C++.  I enjoyed learning the basics of the
> languages and now want to pursue it further.
>
> One of the things I'd like to be able to do is put together simple
> programs so that the user of the program can execute the program from a
> GUI rather than CLI.  At this point all I know is CLI programming.
>
> So, can anyone point out what they think the best toolsets are for
> learning how to write GUI interfaces in C/C++?  So far I've found that
> Qt seems to have a lot geared towards the beginner.  Am I correct in
> that assumption?  I also like the fact that programs written in Qt are
> portable to other platforms.
>
> Just looking for some color on how to get started in this area.
>
> Thanks
> Kevin

Most of the linux GUI work is done in C.  This stems from a) unix was
traditionally C and b) anything can link to C libs.

I have one problem with QT -- it is all or nothing.  Not only do you get a UI
you also get QTs equivalent of the STL.  This means that you are learning an
API which is only good for QT programming.

Personally I find C++ a great fit for GUI programming.  The blackbox window
manager which I work on is written in C++.  We use just raw Xlib so it is
like coding the UI in asm, kinda rough.  On Linux I have not found a nice GUI
toolkit that meshed well with C++.  Although I keep meaning to give wxWindows
a look, it is supposed to be quite nice and also have bindings for perl,
python, etc.  Speaking of which, if you like OO coding in C++ you really
ought to give python a look.