Re: apache-perl vs HTML::Mason

On Mon, Sep 30, 2002 at 12:25:14AM -0600, Bob Proulx wrote:
> will trillich <will@serensoft.com> [2002-09-29 23:30:31 -0500]:
> > okay, apt-get is wonderful and all that -- but when sticking
> > with a tried-and-true potato setup, it's hard to get feature
> > updates without some extra-apt activity...
>
> Wait, wait, wait.  Did you say "sticking with a tried-and-true potato"
> and "features updates" in the same sentence?  Uh, excuse me?  Shock,
> horror, amazement!  Stunned silence.
>
> Living on CPAN is almost equivalent to living on unstable.  If you
> feel CPAN unstable is good, why not Debian unstable?  To my way of
> thinking that is an inconsistent viewpoint.

yes, there are multiple personalities taking liberties here (cut
it out! let him talk!) so bear with me... :)

and what i (we) meant by feature upgrades was the security
patches, mostly.

> > 	perl -MCPAN -e shell
> > 	> install Bundle::HTML::Mason
> > [...]
> > is there a quickie-like fix without having to do a full to-woody
> > upgrade? :( i'd like to have a semi-modern HTML::Mason and
> > apache-perl, without having to overhaul the whole schlabotnik...
>
> Okay, I am getting over my stunned shock and amazement and what I
> think I see that only for perl you want the latest and greatest always
> but you don't want an update for anything else, not even to go from
> potato to woody?
>
> Me?  I would probably 'apt-get source libhtml-mason-perl' and then
> 'debuild -uc -us' and create my own deb packages of the modules I
> needed with the current perl instead of using the CPAN install.  That
> way the package manager will know about everything that is installed
> and can still manage dependencies properly.

i knew there had to be a Debian Way. not knowing what to look
for, it's hard to find -- that is, without this debian-user
e-list. thanks!

--
I use Debian/GNU Linux version 2.2;
Linux server 2.2.17 #1 Sun Jun 25 09:24:41 EST 2000 i586 unknown

DEBIAN NEWBIE TIP #14 from Will Trillich <will@serensoft.com>
:
What's a RUNLEVEL? It's simply a big-time setting group;
runlevel 2 might have a full-blown web server plus X running,
and runlevel 3 might be ssh-only, for secure logins. Check
/etc/inittab (and /etc/rc<RUNLEVEL>.d/*) for details on how
yours are set up. And try "man runlevel".