2.4.18; 3c509 NIC not getting IP

I am not quite sure why I have issues with this machine periodically, but here goes.

I have a 3Com card. It used to work fine when I was at school (dhcp). I moved into an apartment with cable Internet and it is also dhcp.
My other Debian box works fine and my Windows box works fine.
I know I have an extra IP available to me through my ISP, since I can connect my Windows laptop to the hub that all of the computers share and it connects. Anyway, I wanted to setup the Debian box in question as a router (180MHz, so not good for gaming B-) and so I setup a second NIC, a "Gigafast Ethernet PCI LAN adapter" and then the box decides that it can't find the network.
With either card.
Well I removed the Gigafast card, and it still has issues.
When I try to ifup eth0, it says:

eth0: Setting Rx mode to 0 addresses.
eth0: Setting Rx mode to 1 addresses.

Then it stalls here for a while and then:

eth0: Setting Rx mode to 0 addresses.
eth0: Setting Rx mode to 1 addresses.

Again it stalls, but then it says:

Operation failed.

and then I am at the prompt again.

lsmod gives:
3c509     Size: 8576  Used by: 0

isa-pnp is also setup, with the following info:

isa-pnp    Size: 27816   Used by: 0   Not tainted: [3c509]

Now I read something about a Red Hat system on Google that had similar issues, and the response was to remove isa-pnp, but when I try to it says it is busy.
Any ideas?
Thanks,
Gianfranco