Re: mail server of a sorts

On Tue, 15 Oct 2002 10:56:15 -0400 Kevin Coyner <kevin@rustybear.com>
wrote:

> Is it possible to do the following, or is there a better way ...
>
> Objective:  setup a spare box that downloads mail for me and my family
> from various POP3 servers.  DL'd mail gets scanned for spam and then is
> held for eventual retrieval by users.

Here's how I would do it.  Configure a local MTA (exim/postfix/qmail),
have fetchmail pull the mail from the various remote accounts and pass
them off the the local MTA.  Hook Spamassassin into the local MTA's
delivery process along with a filtering application (procmail/maildrop).
Then use an IMAP/POP3 server (Courier-IMAP) to provide access to the
messages.

This is essentially the same as setting up a mail server for a
domain/organization except for how the messages arrive that the MTA.
Rather than the mail being delivered directly but a remote MTA, fetchmail
grabs them and injects them.

--
Jamin W. Collins