Re: using exim for simple mail delivery

Mark Carroll <mark@chaos.x-philes.com> writes:

> On 15 Oct 2002, Jens Grivolla wrote:
> > When did what change?
>
> That you need to really know what you're doing to use exim to receive mail
> on a machine that is not permanently connected to the Internet, I'd guess,
> Paul's implication presumably being that this wasn't previously the case.

Oh, that.  It never has been and never will be a good idea to use a
MTA (this has absolutely nothing to do with exim) to receive mail on a
machine that is not permanently connected to the internet, unless you
have a very specific setup with another MX that will relay to you on
demand.

Setting up a MX that cannot usually reached is bad.  Once you use a
separate MX in a different location polling your mail is usually more
convenient than initiating a queue run on the other server to relay to
you.  Since the OP wanted to use "exim instead of procmail" to have an
*easy* mail setup this is quite clearly not the setup he was looking
for.

Ciao,
   Jens