Re: laptop environment detection

also sprach Bruce <bestb@sympatico.ca> [2002.10.15.0725 +0200]:
> I expect either one would work well. I tried both and ended up with whereami,
> but YMMV. With whereami, I was also able to understand what was happening in
> the scripts despite being fairly ignorant of such things, and was able to
> quickly customize them to my purposes.

yes, i am tending towards whereami myself.

> By the way, whereami also does the cable-detect business; it is called by
> "testmii" in the detect.conf file.

great!

> I am really looking for a program that can figure out automatically whether I
> am using the wired or wireless adaptor in my laptop (usually to the same
> network), and make the connection accordingly.

you should be able to identify the adapter by MAC address, no?

> Ideally, I would bring both up and let the ether sort them out. Unfortunately,
> the only reliable DHCP client I have found for my system is pump, and pump
> doesn't like having two interfaces up at the same time (neither works). I
> have found dhcpcd and dhclient to both be "hit and miss" whether I will get
> an IP address or not.

i think they both work, but each has registered a default route.
insert them both and show me the output of /sbin/route -n after some
seconds.

> So, I am fiddling around with whereami to do this; check for a wire, if so
> bring it up. If no wire, drop eth0 and bring up wlan0. Solves the "pump"
> problem; now all I have to do is get it to find the wireless card on boot.

i will have the same problem to solve.

`. `'`