From: Bruce [mailto:bestb@sympatico.ca]
Sent: Monday, October 14, 2002 6:17 PM
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: RE: Rebuilding the Kernel Mini HOW TO

> We're getting there.
>
> Yes, I have it incorrectly, what is wanted is that step five should read:
>
>[ ]5. # cd to /usr/src/linux/kernel-source-2.4.18
>
> Corrected, thanks.

I'm not sure that is what you want to do; what you want is your kernel
source
in a folder that clearly identifies it by its number, i.e.:

	/usr/src/kernel-source-2.4.18

Then, to allow that to be found easily, make a symlink from that folder, and
call the symlink "linux"

	# cd /usr/src
	# ln -s kernel-source-2.4.18 linux

Now,  typing "cd /usr/src/linux" will take you into
"/usr/src/kernel-source-2.4.18"

Good idea to put the basic requirements in a simple howto, and thanks for
taking that on. I would not mesh the "generic" instructions with Debian
instructions, though. For Debian, my mini-kernel howto would be brief (along
with your desctiptions and explanations):

	# apt-get install kernel-package
	# apt-get install kernel-source-2.4.18
	# apt-get install <development packages -not sure offhand>
	# ln -s /usr/src/kernel-source-2.4.18 /usr/src/linux
	# cd /usr/src/linux
	# make xconfig
	# make-kpkg clean
	# make-kpkg -rev mypc.1 --append-to-version mypc kernel_image
	# cd ..
	# dpkg -i kernel-image-2.4.18mypc_mypc.1_i386.deb
	reboot

Bruce