Re: what packages can be safely removed?

On Mon, Oct 14, 2002 at 08:50:10PM +0530, Sandip P Deshmukh wrote:
> hello!
>
> as happens in any computer system, i have so many packages installed on
> my debian 3.0 system - and i do not use all of them!
>
> i will like to delete the ones i do not need and can be safely deleted.
>
> is there a method of knowing that packages that can be safely removed?
> typically, these will be packages on which no other packages depend.

deborphan:

 deborphan finds "orphaned" packages on your system.
 It determines which packages have no other packages
 depending on their installation, and shows you a list of
 these packages. It is most useful when finding libraries,
 but it can be used on packages in all sections.

--
Karl E. Jørgensen
karl@jorgensen.com