ftp from windows box

I'm trying to ftp, on my local home net, from a win2000 box to my Debian
testing box.  I can happily transfer files, but neither of the ftp clients
I've tried on the windows PC will show a remote file listing.  The ftp
client thinks the directory is empty even though it has just transferred a
file there successfully.  Is this a windows issue, or is there a setting
at the Debian end that I need to adjust?  The ftp client debug window will
list the files with their permissions etc., but implies some sort of LIST
error.

I'm not an expert, so I'd be grateful for some pointers.

Thanks.

- Richard.