Re: Setting gnome up

On 14 Oct 2002 07:42:44 -0000, vdemart  wrote:

> I made a mess of my woody installation, perfectly running with
> gdmand gnome 1.4 and sawfish, to move from ext3 to reiserfs ;( (I
> forgot to backup /dev and /etc)!  So I re-installed everything from
> scratch using the CDs.

> Now my problem is that I cannot (or better, I've completely forgot
> how to) set gnome up with sawfish.  Using startx the very first time
> I got an awful gray screen with twm. So, I've put 'panel' in
> .xinitrc than started the gnome control center, set sawfish (instead
> of the default twm) as my pet desktop and then "settings session-
> save session". Unfortunately when I've quitted I've found the
> following message: /bin/bash: save-session : command not found.
> And, needless to say, nothing has changed.

> Please, help to straighten things up

> Vittorio

You could set gdm as your default Display Manager
(/etc/X11/default-display-manager) , and set it running when your
system boots (/etc/rc2.d/ ).
Then when you could use graphic login, and choose your favorite Window
Manager. Don't forget set it as default.
If you don't like DM, then you just cancel it in /etc/rc2.d/ .