Re: OT: Programming books

Jason Stechschulte wrote:

I know there are a lot of programmers on this list, so I'm hoping
someone might be kind enough to help me.  I already am a so so
programmer.  I'm comfortable using Perl and PHP and I have a little
experience in C/C++.
I'm now thinking of taking the next step and starting a real programming
project.  I'm thinking of writing a game.  My question is this: Does
anyone know of a book that doesn't teach you a language, rather it
teaches you  how to do an entire project.  I'm more interested in
something that says by going through this book you will create this.
Then the book focuses on that one task from planning to final
implementation.
I know there are some books that do something like this but they just
give you source code and then talk about the code.  I'm hoping to find
something the other way around.  The author(s) discuss(es) the concepts
before giving the code that way you have a chance to try to create the
code yourself without looking ahead.
I'm already looking at and altering the sources for nethack to get a
handle on how they do things.  I'm also reading OpenGL Programming Guide
to learn graphics even though the game I want to write will be 2D.  So
does anyone know of a book such as I'm hoping to find?  C/C++ is
preferable, but other languages will be considered too since I don't
find learning new languages very difficult.

just stick to the motto i see on your website: flash is not what will make your game poplular. period. the game industry needs an enema so bad... well... that's another story.

i'm no programmer... just an older dude with good ideas and some storyboard/character development experience behind me. would be cool to have a debian gamers group or something like that. fun stuff exclusively written for my favorite distro.

well, it's all pipedreams until we start emailing each other. so, like, get something started already! :-D

-jeff