Re: OT: DNS servers

> Quoting "Gerald V. Livingston II" <debuser@sysmatrix.net>:
>
>> The name servers that I normall use with my ISP are having a few
>> "flakiness" issues today. I recall seeing a link to a list of name
>> servers that can be used by the public freely (ie. the admins
>> don't get upset if you stick them in your /etc/resolv.conf).
>>
>> Does anyone happen to know of such a list?
>
> Mike Wrote:
>
> Would it be unwise to install bind on your own box?
> and then set your resolv.conf to
> nameserver 127.0.0.1   ???
>
> Mike

Laptop, small HD, used for dial-up when traveling around. That's the
reason for the "flakiness". Some of the dial up backbone DNS servers
only allow connections from machines dialed in to their local servers
so if I switch from uunet to eli to cwia I end up having to figure out
another set of numbers to use. I'd rather have a set of known open
nameservers that will respond to a DNS request from anywhere.