problem setting up modem after move to PCI motherboard

Hi all,

I've recently upgraded my home system from a PII333 to an Athlon 1900+, so
this of course required a new motherboard. I got an ASUS A7V333 PCI board.
I had to replace my old USR Robotoics ISA modem with a PCI modem. I was
given an AOpen K56-PM (this seems to be a winmodem, but that's another
story). Before the upgrade I was running woody with 2.4.18, and the modem
was on ttyS3. I have not changed the software, as the hard drives were not
part of the upgrade.

After getting my new system I updated the kernel (still 2.4.18) to reflect
the new hardware, and after reboots I was getting this message in the
boot messages: 'ttyS3: LSR safety check engaged!' Needless to say, I
couldn't access my new modem.

A google search on this message shows that is a common problem, but I was
unable to find a straight solution to it. I did find out that the first
serial port in a PCI board is ttyS4 and then apparently you can't use
setserial on PCI modems.

To cut a long story slightly shorterr. I've found out this much:

a) The BIOS is *not* using OS-PnP. So that should be fine.
b) The BIOS is assigning IRQ 10 to the modem, the on-board sound
controller (which works) & one of the USB ports
c) the extended serial options are compiled into the kernel
d) Removing the ttyS3 statement from /etc/serial.conf removes the 'ttyS3:
LSR safety check engaged!' problem
e) adding a ttyS4 statement to /etc/serial.conf (after creating the device
with MAKEDEV) results in a 'ttyS4: LSR safety check engaged!' on bootup
f) lspci -v shows the modem there with the right IRQ
g) still can't talk to the serial port

So, my question is: what am I missing? What do I need to do in order to
get programs like 'wvdial' or 'pppconfig' to be able to talk to the modem?

I'm afraid I can't give you output of commands because my computer is
isolated ( no modem) ...:)

Please reply to me as I'm not subscribed to the list.

Thanks,

David

David R. Ballantyne			             Ph: 416-978-1775
Canadian Institute for
Theoretical Astrophysics	                    Fax: 416-978-3921
University of Toronto,
60 St. George Street,		     Email: ballanty@cita.utoronto.ca
Toronto, Ontario
Canada M5S 3H8		  Web: http://www.cita.utoronto.ca/~ballanty/