Re: Kernel Panic~: Rebuild Kernel: miniHOWTO draft

Michael Olds wrote:

> Russell, Torsten, et al:
>
> This is the "method" I have written up in my notes for a Debian Style Kernel
> Rebuild. My feeling after all this is that this is something that as hair
> raising as it might seem for beginners, should be one of the first things we
> learn, not to be delayed.
>
> It would be good if a step by step like this were made for recovering using
> the suggested recovery disk (including link to source)
>
> <!--\*#---------REBUILD KERNEL------------#*\--!>
>
> 1. Download the latest kernel SOURCE package for your hardware architecture
> (i.e. PIII, 4, etc) (??what about these "headers" or is that only for the
> non-Debian way?) to /usr/src/linux/kernel/ (if no /usr/src/linux/kernel dir
> exists, make it) and unpack it.

It's 'bad' to put things
> 2. Make sure "bin86" "lib6c-dev" "debianutils" "make" "bzip2" and
> "kernel-package" are installed.
> 3. (on 2nd and subsequent rebuilds) Copy configuration file to
> /usr/src/linux/kernel_version_source_directory/
> 4. # cd to /usr/src/linux/kernel_version_source_directory
>    # make menuconfig
> and make your selections
> 5. # make-kpkg clean
>    # make-kpkg -revision=0001 --initrd kernel_image
> 6. A new kernel.version-0001_i386.deb will be placed in the /usr/src/linux
> directory (or one up from where the sources are held)
> 7. Install the new kernel using # dpkg -i kernel.~.deb
>
> <!--\*#------------------------------#*\--!>

read:
  /usr/src/linux/Documentation/initrd.txt
  /usr/src/linux/Documentation/modules.txt
  /usr/src/linux/README
  /usr/src/linux/README.Debian

http://qref.sourceforge.net/Debian/reference/ch-kernel.en.html

http://infocom.cqu.edu.au/Units/aut99/85321/Resources/Print_Resources/Textbook/chap13/

http://www.google.com/search?q=%22kernel+headers%22+linus+quote&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&start=10&sa=N

http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/faq/#AEN334
http://www.uwsg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0007.3/0587.html

Bear in mind that debian does things a bit differently than other
distros. I haven't done enough programming to figure out the
specifics of kernel headers with debian yet. The main thing is
that a new kernel can be used, but source being built only needs
the old headers that the system libraries like glibc? were
built with.